IAGOS-D combines Germany’s contributions to the European RI. In the process of establishing the German National Roadmap of Research Infrastructures, the concept of IAGOS was evaluated by an international review panel under the auspices of the German Council for Science and Humanities (Wissenschaftsrat). The process included the assessment of:
- Scientific excellence
- International leadership
- Technical feasibility
- Thoroughness of the implementation plan
- Readiness for implementation.
As a result of this process, IAGOS was selected in 2013 for the German Roadmap of Research Infrastructures. Since 2013, the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung BMBF) funds the German contribution to the construction and implementation of the operational research infrastructure as the joint research programme IAGOS-D as part of its Framework Programme Research for Sustainable Development (Forschung für Nachhaltige Entwicklung FONA).
- The IAGOS-CORE component comprises the implementation and operation of autonomous instruments installed on long-range aircraft of several internationally operating airlines for continuous, global-scale and daily measurements of reactive gases, greenhouse gases (e.g. CO2, CH4), aerosol and cloud particles.
- The IAGOS-CARIBIC component consists of an extensively modified cargo container equipped with instruments for a large suite of trace gases and aerosol parameters, which is deployed once per month for four inter-continental flights.
The dual setup of IAGOS aims at providing global-scale coverage of key observables on a day-to-day basis with a more complex set of observations with reduced coverage.
The IAGOS-D work programme includes:
- Co-coordination of IAGOS-AISBL, in close cooperation with partners from France and the UK.
- Coordination of IAGOS-CARIBIC
- Operation of IAGOS-CORE instruments for measuring H2O, NOx, NOy, and aerosol particles
- Operation of the IAGOS-CARIBIC container
- Operation of the IAGOS Maintenance Centre
- Data quality assurance and control, data analysis and provision to the IAGOS Database
The start-up phase is scheduled until 2018.
Prof. Dr. A. Wahner and PD Dr. A. Petzold
Institut für Energie und Klimaforschung 8: Troposphäre (IEK-8)
Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
- Research Centre Jülich GmbH, Institute for Energy and Climate Research 8: troposphere
- Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Institute of Meteorology and Climate Research
- Max Planck Institute for Chemistry
- Leibniz Institut for Tropospheric Research e.V.
- German Aerospace Center, Institute of Atmospheric Physics
- University of Heidelberg, Institute of Environmental Physics
- enviscope GmbH
- Deutsche Lufthansa AG